Mold can cause health symptoms and aggravate already-existing respiratory conditions. Mold growth is not always obvious; it can spread unseen behind walls or beneath carpeting. Whether you own your house or rent, watch out for these signs of mold in the home.
Bubbling Paint is a Clue That You Have Mold in the Home
If the paint on your walls is bubbling and peeling off, you may have mold within the wall. This is more common in damp areas like bathrooms, basements, and around windows or doors. Moisture buildup causes bubbling paint, which often means mold is there. Covering the damage with another coat of paint won’t solve the underlying problem. It’s likely that the new coat will bubble also, and you’ll have wasted time and effort. Have the area tested for mold and treat any mold that is found before repainting the room.
A Persistent Cough
If anyone in your family has a persistent cough that is not due to a cold or seasonal allergy, it may be caused by mold. Allergy symptoms that improve upon leaving the home are a good indication that the allergen is indoors. Young children and the elderly are particularly susceptible to coughing as a result of exposure. Consult an allergy specialist to perform testing to determine if mold could be the culprit.
Soft Spots in Your Floor
Soft spots under your flooring are a sign of structural damage, but they can also indicate a mold problem. In most cases, the damage is the result of floor supports that have rotted out due to water damage. This leaves you with two concerns: an unstable floor and a mold problem. Access the floor from below, if possible, to see what is causing the damage and how far it has progressed. Hire a home inspector for a professional opinion.
Your Home Has Flooded in the Past
This is perhaps one of the most common causes of a mold problem in residential properties. If you have had a major leak or flooding, you almost certainly developed mold in the home. If mold growth wasn’t handled properly in the initial cleanup, you may still be dealing with the consequences.
Musty Odors are Clues That You Have Mold in the Home
The musty, moldy smell is caused by a chemical produced by mold and mildew that is released into the air. It is not enough to cover the odor with air fresheners or household cleaners. Find the source of the smell and eliminate the mold causing it.
Mold tests are available if you suspect mold in your home. For best results, hire a professional to perform the test. You’ll get more accurate results with a trained mold inspector. If you confirm mold is present, take steps to remedy the problem as soon as possible. Remove mold from your home to protect your family’s health and your investment.
Premier Home Inspection Services offers home inspection services, including mold inspections, to Northern New Jersey. Contact us to request an appointment.